ABOUT LIPOSUCTION & FAT REMOVALFor a lot of people losing weight, toning up and achieving the figure they want requires a combination of healthy eating and regular exercise, but some can be left with stubborn pockets of fat that no amount of exercise or dieting can shift. Liposuction surgery, also known as fat removal surgery, is designed to help remove these areas of fat and reshape particular areas of the body – it is not designed to be a quick weight loss tool. Typical problem areas that can be treated with liposuction surgery include:
- Inner and Outer Thighs
- Stomach (or Abdomen)
Benefits of having Liposuction Surgery
- Increased self confidence
- Motivation to pursue a healthier lifestyle
- Ability to have wider choice of clothes
- Feel more in proportion
Facts about Liposuction
- We offer Liposuction to most areas of the body, commonly the abdomen, flanks ('love handles'), chest and double chin.
- Recovery times are quick and you can resume normal activities after a couple of weeks
- Liposuction is effective, it actually removes the fat cells from the specific area.
- Your BMI will help our Nurse Counsellors assess your suitability.
- This procedure isn't suitable for very overweight patients.
The Procedure for Liposuction Surgery
- The operation is performed under a general anaesthetic, or local anaesthetic with sedation often as a day case.
- The procedure can take between 1-2 hours.
- A very small incision is made to remove extract the fat and this is closed with a stitch or dissolvable suture.
Is Liposuction right for me?CHOOSING TO HAVE LIPOSUCTION SURGERY
There are many reasons why people choose to have liposuction surgery:
- Stubborn areas of fat that are resistant to diet and exercise.
- A disproportionate figure - evident in women who are particularly pear-shaped and tend to store fat in the hip area, giving rise to a lack of self confidence and embarrassment
- A 'kick-start' into a more controlled eating or exercise regime.
- By removing areas of unwanted fat, this is often all that is needed to motivate and encourage a healthier lifestyle
The ideal Liposuction candidate is at, or slightly below, their target weight, but with discreet resistant deposits of fat that so far have not responded to an appropriate diet and targeted exercise regime. Liposuction must not be thought of as an operation to lose weight, as the weight of the aspirated fat is very small in relation to total body weight. However, by targeting specific well-defined deposits of fat, clothes will fit better, and the figure is more in proportion which may give the appearance of significant weight loss.