ABOUT TUMMY TUCK
After substantial weight loss, many men find their abdominal muscles are weaker and the skin in that area has become much looser. Despite exercise and diet this excess skin may be difficult to tone up and can cause self-consciousness and anxiety. Having a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) procedure can help. During the procedure the muscles can be tightened and excess skin removed, leaving a firmer and flatter abdomen. Many of our patients choose to combine a tummy tuck procedure with having Liposuction to their waist area to create a new slim waistline.
Benefits of having Tummy Tuck Surgery
- Increased overall self-confidence.
- Increased self esteem.
- Ability to wear more fitted clothing, or clothes that you may have previously avoided.
- Regaining a more toned and youthful body shape.
- No more hiding behind big tops/t-shirts.
Facts about Tummy Tuck Surgery
- Tummy tuck surgery is not a way to lose weight.
- This procedure removes excess skin following weight loss or exercise.
- Very often this procedure is carried out with Liposuction to define body shape.
- This procedure tightens the muscles and remove excess skin to leave a firmer and flatter abdomen.
The Procedure for Tummy Tuck Surgery
- The tummy tuck procedure takes around 2 hours under general anesthetic.
- Tummy tuck procedures requires a 1 or 2 night stay in hospital.
- Loose excess skin and fatty tissue are removed through an incision which extends across the abdomen, usually from hip to hip.
- A benefit of this procedure is that the entire abdominal muscle wall can be tightened, usually with permanent sutures.
- You have a firmer result and flatter tummy (even if you didn't have a flat tummy before).
Is Tummy Tuck Surgery right for me?
CHOOSING TO HAVE TUMMY TUCK SURGERY
There are many reasons why people choose tummy tuck surgery:
- Unattractive loose skin around the abdomen area
- Stretch marks to the abdomen area caused by significant weight loss
- Old scars from previous surgery
- The inability to wear brief underwear/swimwear due to excess skin/fatty tissue
- Desire to have a flatter abdomen
WHO SHOULD HAVE A TUMMY TUCK
Patients who feel self conscious about their stomach and wish to obtain a flatter abdomen - often patients choose to have a tummy tuck after weight loss. Other patients choose to have a tummy tuck to get rid of stretch marks, loose skin or scars.
Things To Consider
It is important that your decision to have a Cosmetic Surgery procedure is considered carefully. There are many points that should be considered before deciding to have any type of Cosmetic Treatment or Surgery.
There are also some possible risks, as with all surgical operations, which your Cosmetic Surgeon will talk through and explain to you at your consultation, answering any questions you may have. This is your opportunity to discuss your intended surgery in order that the Cosmetic Surgeon can ascertain your expectations as to what can realistically be achieved.
Every Cosmetic Surgeon who performs liposuction procedures for Charme Polyclinic belongs to a relevant professional organisation, is fully accredited to practice as a specialist in Plastic Surgery, and has specific training and experience in Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.
Our nurses advise you consider the following things before your surgery:
- Child care and post surgery activities including sleeping arrangements
- Have necessary post-operative garments
- How long will the effects of treatment keep me away from my usual activities?
- At what stage will I be able to judge the results of treatment?
- How long do the results last?
- When can I return to work?