ABOUT EAR RESHAPINGThe psychological impact of protruding ears has long been noted by Doctors
The shape, size or positioning of the ears can make a huge difference to whether a person has confidence in their appearance or not, and for many years people have been choosing to have ear reshaping surgery to increase their self-confidence. Ear reshaping surgery is also known as otoplasty and is a surgical procedure that is carried out to reduce the size of the ears, reshape the ears, or reset protruding ears so that they sit closer to the head. This very straightforward procedure can be carried out on both adults and children who feel their lives are being negatively affected by the appearance of their ears.
Benefits of having Ear Reshaping Surgery
- Increased self-confidence and self esteem
- Wider choice of hairstyles
- Stop unfriendly comments
- More choice in sports and careers
Facts about Ear Reshaping Surgery
- Ear reshaping (Otoplasty) is one of the oldest Cosmetic procedures - with a history that dates back to the late 19th century.
- Ear reshaping is well known for boosting confidence.
- Ear reshaping can totally change the overall appearance of the face
- Recovery is very quick.
- The results of an ear reshaping procedure are permanent and immediate.
The Procedure for Ear Reshaping
- Ear reshaping surgery sets prominent ears back closer to the head or reduces the size of large ears.
- The ear reshaping procedure involves removing skin and reshaping the cartilage from behind the ears.
- The ears are then stitched into the new position with the incision marks cleverly concealed in the natural crease behind the ear.
- The ear reshaping surgery normally takes 2-3 hours to complete.
Is Ear Reshaping Surgery right for me?CHOOSING TO HAVE EAR RESHAPING SURGERY
There are many reasons why people choose to have ear reshaping surgery:
- Lack of self confidence due to protruding ears
- Unable to wear particular hairstyles or have a short hair cut as it would emphasize the problem
- Unwelcome comments from friends or work colleagues
- Inability to follow career or recreation of choice
The final decision will be made between you and your Cosmetic Surgeon. The procedure is most suitable for those patients who are self-conscious about the size, shape or positioning of their ears.
Things To ConsiderIt is important that your decision to have a Cosmetic Surgery procedure is considered carefully. There are many points that should be considered before deciding to have any type of Cosmetic Treatment or Surgery.
There are also some possible risks, as with all surgical operations, which your Cosmetic Surgeon will talk through and explain to you at your consultation, answering any questions you may have. This is your opportunity to discuss your intended surgery in order that the Cosmetic Surgeon can ascertain your expectations as to what can realistically be achieved.
Every Cosmetic Surgeon who performs ear reshaping procedures for The Charme Polyclinic belongs to a relevant professional organisation, is fully accredited to practice as a specialist in Plastic Surgery, and has specific training and experience in Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.
Our nurses advise you consider the following things before your surgery:
- Child care and post surgery activities including sleeping arrangements
- Have necessary post-operative garments
- How long will the effects of treatment keep me away from my usual activities?
- At what stage will I be able to judge the results of treatment?
- How long do the results last?
- When can I return to work?